About Cathedral High School
Cathedral High School, a Catholic college preparatory school in the Archdiocese of New York located in the heart of Manhattan, welcomes young women of all faiths and cultures. The school was founded by the Sisters of Charity in 1905 to serve the daughters of immigrant populations, with an initial class of 28 girls. The school has grown to its current population of 590 students and the mission continues today with a dedicated community of students, teachers, staff, parents and alumnae committed to achieving excellence in education. We continually challenge our students to become productive members of society who will conduct themselves with spiritual and moral integrity in the pursuit of social justice.
FACTS ABOUT CATHEDRAL
- Cathedral is a Catholic College Prep school located in midtown Manhattan
- We have approximately 618 students from 72 different countries, and residents of all 5 boroughs
- 84% of our students are Hispanic or African American, while the other 16% identify as multi-racial, Caucasian, or Asian
- We offer our students an excellent education at a very reasonable cost. Tuition is just $8,795, though many of our families have difficulty paying
- Approximately 61% of our students are eligible for free or discounted meals. More than half are from single parent families and more than one third are on public assistance (34%).
- 100% of our students graduate, and 93% are enrolled in college within one year of graduation compared to the national public school average of only 65.9%
- Student-faculty ratio is 14:1
- We offer the resources of a large established school with the “heart” of a small one. Size offers scale and resources:
- + STEM education runs throughout curriculum (e.g., 3D printers, robotics, Girls Who Code).
- + STEM, Medical Gateways and Business/Law programs allow girls to find their passions.
Elinor Sutton, Esq., Chair
Stephen M. Schiller, Vice Chair
Sr. Margaret Egan ‘56,SC, Ed.D.
James P. Jalil, Esq.
Dr. Joseph Muscente
Bishop Gerald Walsh
Philip Jay Wilker, Esq.